Sunday, January 22, 2012

Running Spree

I've always been fascinated by nature. I love the lush greenery around me. The carpet like grass spread across miles on the hills, the cool breeze, the sound birds make when they perhaps talk to each other in the morning. I also love the sound of joggers running in the park- always reminds me of the good old days when I as a kid would run along with my dad in the Patna zoo amongst the health conscious crowd - the seemingly noticeable fat uncles and aunties paving their way across the zoo as me and my dad would walk and run and relax. Me and my dad would always make fun of the fat aunties trying desperately to shed a few pounds while making an effort to run a few miles across the zoo. We laughed and at the same time ran a few Kms everyday. I will always cherish those memories.

A few years passed and the jogger in me was still alive but perhaps hiding somewhere in the woods. It came out only when provoked! I clearly remember the day when as part of the himalayan explorer's club's expedition, a bunch of 1st years were supposed to climb a mountain, and reach the other side where there was a shiva temple. I was told the sight is fascinating and a nature lover's paradise! The jogger in me was excited at the prospect of encountering one of the most beautiful scenery of all times. Mountains on all sides with a temple in between across a lake.
I started walking alongwith my classmates only to realise that the jogger in me had been dormant for years now and needed a certain push from me and my peers. I tried finding the stronger sprinters and following them as they embarked on a journey that I found to be excruciating nonetheless. But I was optimistic. I knew that the end result would make all my troubles and pains go away. I kept walking and running and tried finding shortcuts wherever I could. I tried doing the math as well finding the shortest route displacement wise and then saving some energy. I tumbled a few times too but that did not stop me from reaching my destination. I had promised myself that no matter what I will keep running. And then it started raining!

And oh the smell of the surroundings with the first rains of the season can be mesmerizing! It gave me the kind of adrenalin rush that you get when listening to heavy metal before your end sem exams when you know the music is your only friend - although here I should thank all those nerds who kept notes for the reckless people like me and helped us in those dreadful times - but nevertheless music is well music.

The jogger in me finally came out and I reached my destination. And what a brilliant sight that was! There was this huge temple someone built in the middle of nowhere with mountains on all sides and a tiny lake nearby with worshippers taking a dip in the freezing waters - it was truly mesmerizing! I had never been so close to God as I was then! And I loved every bit of it!

The jogger in me now wants to come out once again and wants me to embark on a journey to the unknown and the untouched! Sigh!

1 comment:

The Grin Reaper said...

"I tried doing the math as well finding the shortest route displacement wise and then saving some energy."

The engineer in us never dies, eh? \m/

I hope you keep posting regularly from now on :)